Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One wild week-end

I have to say I keep forgetting to take any pictures but I am hoping this blog will make me a little better at taking them. This week-end I was lucky to come out remembering anything. It all started Thurs with a surprise visit from the in-laws. I love my in-laws......especially when I can prepare myself when they come. They tend to pop in and out for anywhere from minutes to days when ever they feel the urge. This time was good, they were staying at another of my hubby's brothers, so they were just here for a little while. We also got a call from some friends of ours asking what we were doing for the week-end.....and maybe they would come visit. This is another one of those calls that makes me wonder just exactally what I am in for. Anyway, since there was no school Friday we got an early start to the week-end. Not thinking I got up and cleaned the house to get ready for the company that may be coming. The girls decided since there was not school they would make the most of the day by fighting with each other. Always makes for a long day with high pitched screaming floating through the house. Then the call came that the company was on it's way.....if only I had thought this through.

These friends of ours have three kids....his, hers and theirs. The two youngest are 2 and one. Cute kids, but messy kids. Their dad reminds me of a 14 year old boy who never really did grow up. My kids love it when he visits for the entertainment value. He operates on their level a lot of the time. He claims they came for breakfast Sat. morning which hubby took as, we are expecting a good one, don't let us down. I didn't think they would be staying long, so I didn't grocery shop for feeding 10 people all week-end. Ended up by the end of the day at one point we had Nate's cousins family, his mom, and my brother just happened to pop in for a while. The house was bulging at the seams with 13 small kids running through it. So much for cleaning it. We ended up going to dinner and since B had a birthday party we got a babysitter last minute. She had 5 kids and a huge mess, which she had all cleaned up before we got home. Awesome job Brit! We thought everyone would be going home, but the friends stayed until Sunday. They left while we were at church, we didn't even see Nate's friend before we left at 11. He was still sleeping so we left breakfast on the table and havent' heard a word since. My girls were so excited to come home to a quiet house. Hailey spread herself out on the couch and just laid there in the quiet for about 15 minutes. I don't mind company, but this time I was glad to see them go. Too many kids helping themselves to the fridge and the cupboard and then tracking it through the house and into the new carpet. Too many toys broken and left to be discovered by my baby who brought them to me heartbroken. I came away from the week-end very thankful for my kids and their manners. They are good girls, and they respect others for the most part. We have all been putting the house together and just enjoying each other since Sunday and that is the best thing that came out of our wild week-end.

1 comment:

{krista} said...

I don't know how you do it... and I'm also glad that we never have people just stop in! It's kind of nice when I hear things like this to think about the fact that nobody ever comes to see me. haha